Creamy Vegetarian White Chili
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 15-ounce (443 mL) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4-ounce (118 mL) can chopped green chilies
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups warmed whole milk (use non-dairy if wanting to make the recipe vegan)
- Salt / Pepper, to taste
- Lime juice, to taste
- garnish options: cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips, hot sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium in a large stock pot.
- Add onion, pepper, and jalapeno and saute for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and onions translucent.
- Add garlic and cumin and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Next, add flour and toss until the vegetables are coated. Slowly add in vegetable stock, while stirring, and then add in beans, green chilies, and corn.
- Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in warm milk and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt, pepper, and lime juice. Divide between serving bowls and garnish before serving.