Millionaire Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut to 1/2-inch rounds (like silver dollars)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Peel potatoes and cut into rounds 1/2-inch thick.
- In a colander, run cold water and scrub off—as best you can—the starchy surface with your thumbs.
- Toss these into a pot of cold water, enough to submerge the potatoes with an extra inch of water.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 30 minutes (knife should slide in with no resistance).
- In the mean time, take 1 1/2 sticks of butter from the fridge and cube them. Place butter into a bowl and back into the fridge.
- In a separate sauce pot, warm heavy cream over very low heat.
- Drain potatoes and press through a ricer back into the waterless-but-still-hot pot.
- Add the chilled cube butter in three batches, whipping the potatoes with a large metal spoon vigorously.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste.
- Slowly pour in the warmed cream, and keep whipping with the spoon. You may choose not to add the full cup of cream, but I like my potatoes ethereally fluffy.
- Sprinkle on fresh chives, add gravy if you desire (see recipe below), and serve immediately.