Simple Cacio e Pepe
- Kosher salt
- 6 ounces pasta (such as egg tagliolini, bucatini, or spaghetti)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup finely grated Grana Padano or Parmesan
- 1/3 cup finely grated Pecorino
- Bring 12 cups of water to a boil. Add salt.
- Add pasta, stirring occasionally.
- 2 minutes before tender, remove pasta from heat and drain.
- Reserve 3/4 cup pasta cooking water.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add pepper and cook, swirling pan, until toasted, about 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Add pasta and remaining butter.
- Reduce heat to low and add Grana Padano or Parmesan, stirring and tossing with tongs until melted.
- Remove pan from heat; add Pecorino, stirring and tossing until cheese melts, sauce coats the pasta, and pasta is al dente.
Add more pasta water if sauce seems dry.