Smoky Spanish Rice and Chickpeas
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp freeze dried oregano
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 can (540 ml/19 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (540 ml/19 oz) chickpeas drained and rinsed well
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp salt - or to taste
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet that has a matching lid.
- Add in the onions and fry on medium-high heat until soft and translucent, around 6-7 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, sautee for 2-3 minutes, then add in the paprika and oregano. Fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the uncooked rice and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, chickpeas and vegetable broth.
- Add salt to taste (this will depend on how salty your broth is to start)
- Stir until all ingredients are dispersed evenly throughout the skillet.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium and place the lid on top.
- Simmer for 20-22 minutes, then remove the skillet - lid still on!- and let sit for another 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the lid, fluff the rice, top with chopped parsley and serve.