- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (4 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley or pearl barley, presoaked*
- 1/3 cup instant wild rice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves, shredded (3 ounces)
* Presoak pearl barley in 2 cups of water at least 5 hours or overnight; drain.
- Heat oil in 10-inch non-stick skillet over high heat.
- Cook mushrooms and onion in oil.
- Stir in broth, garlic pepper seasoning blend, and mustard.
- Cover and heat to boiling.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (barley and rice) except spinach; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Stir in spinach.
- Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until water is absorbed and barley and wild rice are tender.